Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Have another!

Bethany Frankel, God love'r her sassy mouth, has done a super freaking fantastic job with her new line of adult beverages, SkinnyGirl Cocktails, and I'm always ready and willing to try any of her flavors of the week! I've had the pleasure of imbibing on the White Peach Margarita & regular Margarita mix, Cosmo mix, and three of her flavored vodkas:  Tangerine, Cucumber, and Coconut.

The mixes are a no-brainer. A delectable no-brainer! The flavored vodkas are pretty easy to get mixy with too, save for the cucumber.

We go back a few weeks to our vacation to Litchfield and I was facebooking while Q was in the grocery store. I saw a post from Skinnygirl regarding a Cucumber Mojito recipe. "I like mojitos" I thought. "And I'm right here by the liquor store, too..." I started to plan. "Here comes Q! I've got to fill him in on this!" I exclaimed to three confused little boys.

So I snagged the main ingredient I would need - the Cucumber flavored vodka - and forgot about one ingredient: the soda water. Here's her recipe:

"Skinnygirl Cucumber Mojito"
7 mint leaves
1 lime wedge
1.5 oz Skinnygirl Cucumber Vodka
3 oz soda water
Squeeze lime wedge into rocks glass, muddle lime wedge with mint leaves and vodka. Add ice. Top with soda water. Garnish with lime wedge.
* can add 1/2 tsp. agave nectar for sweetness


The house being full of (of-age) drinkers, I thought there'd be some soda water and didn't worry with it.

There wasn't. Only after I made my drink instead with tonic water did Q inform me that they are VERY different beverages. Womp womp.

My drink sucked dick. Not to mention I remembered almost instantly that I HATE cucumber. WTF was I thinking?! When I eat cucumber all I burp up for the next 17 days is the taste of damn cucumber; I try to stay away from it, and am pretty successful at it.

Anyways, I tried not to waste the bit of beverage that I did make and I can say with nearly complete lack of concern that I comitted a serious crime of alcohol abuse. It was just disgusting. The drink, that is, not my lack of reverence for the juice. So I poured it out for my homies and stuck to the White Peach margarita mix for the remainder of our travel.

Fast forward to this weekend when I wanted to revisit the cucumber nasty. Not the mojito recipe again, but just generally figure out what to pair the vodka with.

I found a bottle of Tropicana Trop50 Raspberry Lemonade and decided it would do. I had no idea what would happen.

I'm going to tell you now what happened. Not everyone believes in it, but refreshing, only a mild hint of cucumberish majic happened.  Maaaaajiiiiiic.


My Recipe:
I filled up a short glass 1/3 way with ice, poured one shot of Skinnygirl Cucumber Vodka over it and filled the empty space with the raspberry lemonade, a splash of lime, and sprig of mint.

LOVES IT.
Make it hap'n, cap'n.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me your pennies, maties! ...argh? I'm no pirate. & You don't have to be a pirate to comment. Just do it. Dooo it.