SO, I found a pin for mini apple pies that I'd pinned THREE YEARS ago and decided it was time to give it a shot. I also remembered seeing a great idea for a pie crust: rolled-out cinnamon rolls. I combined the two ideas and here we go:
5 small-ish apples - peeled, cored, and diced.
1 cup sugar
11 tbsp ap flour
2-3ish tbsp of cinnamon (this is a preferential thing since the crust IS cinnamon.)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
4 tbsp chilled butter, cut into 20 squares.
- Mix all that shit together in a bowl.
- Set it aside while you realize how frustrating rolling out/flattening cinnamon rolls is.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- I know we didn't use the butter yet, just wait.
2 cans cinnamon rolls to make 20 lil pies
- Grease a muffin tin or be lucky and have a silicon muffin mold.
- Open one can of dough at a time, unless you can cook all 20 at once - room temperature dough is a bitch to work with.
- Cut each cinnamon roll in half - lengthwise - so you have two really thin cinnamon rolls.
- Press each "slice" into your muffin tin.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
- Pull out the dough - and using a TBSP measurer - kind of smash the dough back down into a cup shape and then fill each cup with about a tbsp of the apple mix.
- Top the mix with a square of butter and put them back into the oven for 20 minutes - or until golden brown. *I can't remember if I baked them for a total of 20 or 25 minutes; sorry!
After they've cooled a bit, feel free to use a dollop of the icing that came with the cinnamon rolls to top them off - they won't "need" it but why waste it, right?
|Fresh out of the oven!|