Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Recipe Post: Mini Apple Pies with Cinnamon Roll Crust

My coworkers tasked me with bringing dessert for a boss's day and birthday celebration for the office. I initially was going to make something really healthy - but delicious - so that I could also enjoy the dessert but then I realized that as much as I adore these folks - they don't really give a damn about whether or not their dessert is paleo/clean/remotely healthy. 

SO, I found a pin for mini apple pies that I'd pinned THREE YEARS ago and decided it was time to give it a shot. I also remembered seeing a great idea for a pie crust: rolled-out cinnamon rolls. I combined the two ideas and here we go:


FILLING:
5 small-ish apples - peeled, cored, and diced.
1 cup sugar
11 tbsp ap flour
2-3ish tbsp of cinnamon (this is a preferential thing since the crust IS cinnamon.)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
4 tbsp chilled butter, cut into 20 squares.
  • Mix all that shit together in a bowl. 
  • Set it aside while you realize how frustrating rolling out/flattening cinnamon rolls is. 
  • Preheat the oven to 350. 
  • I know we didn't use the butter yet, just wait.

PIE CRUST:
2 cans cinnamon rolls to make 20 lil pies
  • Grease a muffin tin or be lucky and have a silicon muffin mold. 
  • Open one can of dough at a time, unless you can cook all 20 at once - room temperature dough is a bitch to work with.  
  • Cut each cinnamon roll in half - lengthwise - so you have two really thin cinnamon rolls. 
  • Press each "slice" into your muffin tin.
  • Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. 

  • Pull out the dough - and using a TBSP measurer - kind of smash the dough back down into a cup shape and then fill each cup with about a tbsp of the apple mix. 
  • Top the mix with a square of butter and put them back into the oven for 20 minutes - or until golden brown. *I can't remember if I baked them for a total of 20 or 25 minutes; sorry! 

After they've cooled a bit, feel free to use a dollop of the icing that came with the cinnamon rolls to top them off - they won't "need" it but why waste it, right? 

Fresh out of the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me your pennies, maties! ...argh? I'm no pirate. & You don't have to be a pirate to comment. Just do it. Dooo it.