Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Logging on for a Whole30: day 10, 1/3 of the way through!

Today marks my 33% milestone. Day 10 of 30; toot toot! I'm feeling pretty great and properly fueled for my long days, although they are mostly sedentary - what's great is I don't find myself needing a snack quite as soon after lunch, if at all. I haven't been taking any of my medications for 10+ days (really just because I forgot then realized I forgot THEN realized I was just fine anyways). 

Today I ate, or am gonna eat:
1.5 scotch eggs 
1/2 chicken breast + 5 lil meatballs + fauxtatoes
meatloaf + zucchini


CrossFit was excellent last night even though I got a new tear on my right hand AND kicked the paralette (sp?) bar and cracked my toenail into the quick. Beauty + Grace all in one package, my family is so lucky! I felt great about class and despite the "eat shit I hate you" look I give my coach near the end of every class, I really was grateful that he encouraged me to finish my workout even after the buzzer sang it's sweet song. 



Right!?!
Let's be honest with ourselves though - do you every REALLY regret a workout? Nope! Even with small injuries, although those attained last night are more like annoyances.

I mentioned yesterday sharing my meatloaf recipe. It's pretty straightforward so this shouldn't take long:

2lbs ground meat
2 eggs
hefty handful of spinach - I used fresh baby spinach
handful of baby carrots, or shredded carrots
1/2 onion, diced
2 large garlic cloves, minced or chopped finely
1tbsp coconut or healthy oil
S+P to taste

  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Basically mince your spinach in a food processor, or chop it as small as you can. Or don't - I was trying to hide mine, for the most part. Do the same with a handful of baby carrots, garlic, and onion. 
  3. Toss them into a pan with coconut oil, or whatever you use to saute, for about 3-5 minutes. Don't worry much with how done they are because they'll continue to cook in the oven.
  4. Pre-beat your eggs in the bowl you're going to mix everything in then gently mix your meat in with the eggs until combined. 
  5. Add your par-cooked veggie mix to the meat mix and gently combine. Overworking the meat makes it tough, be easy.
  6. Put it in a loaf pan (I didn't need to grease my Pyrex pan, you might have you grease yours; use common sense.) and bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for an hour.
my veggie mix, sauteing
That's it. 

Play with recipe and make it your own, like I did. Before you bake it, you could add a layer of bacon on top like Nom Nom Paleo's Michelle Tam does or cover it in shredded cheddar if you're cool with cheese. Make it "classic" by smothering it in ketchup and baking for a few more minutes (after you drain off those meatloaf juices, of course!) or sprinkle parmesan cheese on it because parmesan cheese, duh. I just put some homemade paleo ketchup on mine and enjoyed the heck out of it!

Recap:

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me your pennies, maties! ...argh? I'm no pirate. & You don't have to be a pirate to comment. Just do it. Dooo it.